'Palak' meaning Spinach is a green leafy vegetable is a very rich source of iron.It is exceptionally rich in carotenoids, including beta-carotene and lutein, and also contains quercetin, a phytochemical with antioxidant properties. Spinach is rich in vitamins and minerals, particularly folate (folic acid), vitamin K, magnesium, and manganese; it also contains more protein than most vegetables. (Although the protein is incomplete--spinach and other leafy green vegetables are low in the amino acid methionine--it is complemented by the protein in rice and other grains.) Raw spinach is a healthy addition to salads, but to get the full benefit from this leafy green, eat it cooked at least some of the time. Cooking makes the antioxidant carotenoids responsible for much of spinach's nutritional potency easier for the body to absorb.
(Source:http://www.wholehealthmd.com).Please readers have a look at this website for more additional facts about spinach...
Well here goes the recipe for one of my favorite chappathi....
Whole Wheat Flour- 2 cups
Palak - 4 cups
cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
turmeric pdr-1/2 tsp
dhania pdr-1/2 tsp
red chilli pdr - 1/2 tsp
garam masala pdr-1/2 tsp
salt - to taste
oil - dough+ frying
- Chop palak finely.
- Heat oil and saute cumin seeds,green chillies and chopped palak by adding just very little water and the palak will shrink down in no time and will become soft.
- Once the palak cools down grind it to a smooth paste with enough water(the mixture should not be too watery or too firm)
- Now for the dry ingredients mix the flour,the powders, salt and just mix it completely.
- Now combine the palak paste with the flour and knead to a smooth dough adding more water for mixing.After making into a smooth dough smear oil(a spoonful) all over the dough to prevent drying up.
- Keep closed for atleast an hour for the dough to rise.
- Now make chappathis and serve them with your favorite dhal , curry , salad, or sprinkle some sugar ; roll it up and gobble it as I do sometimes.
(Source: Recipe from "Tiffin Varieties from Mrs.S.Mallika Badrinath")