February 04, 2010

Blueberry Crumble Cake



I have been buying these blueberries on and off. The very first time I bought blueberries I made a syrup to go with pancakes. I did not want to pop rest of these tart blueberries in my mouth. For the same reason I did not buy these for a long time.

But after watching much television and reading many a blogs, I have come to appreciate what this tiny,mighty and powerful fruit has to offer.So with all this in mind and with the unseasonal sale, I bought these blueberries . I got two boxes for the price of one. This time I certainly had few ideas in mind before buying them like muffins and pancakes but never thought about a cake, that too a crumble cake version. I got this recipe from Food Network by Chef Ina Garten. She has a video demonstration of this cake, but unfortunately I did not look at it until I was done with the cake.



For Streusel
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 pound(1 stick) unsalted butter,melted
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
For Cake
Wet Ingredients
6 tblsp butter(3/4 stick) room temp
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 extra large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
2/3 cup sour cream
Dry ingredients
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup blue berries
Method
For streusel : Mix all the ingredients and keep aside.
For cake : Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan. Prepare the dry and wet ingredients.Now add the dry to the wet ingredients and fold in the blue berries. Spoon the batter to the cake pan and spread it neatly. Now crumble the streusel topping evenly over the cake batter. Bake for 40 to 50 min.

No comments: