First off my salutations to Dr. Hemant Trivedi. If anyone hasn't visited this site (http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com) I request those people to visit and try his mouthwatering 'Drumstick sambhar'.It is truly an amazing recipe. Secondly I want to thank all food bloggers who have shed light on Dr.Hemant Trivedi and his website.
I chose this recipe as I had drumsticks in my freezer yesterday. What impressed me most about this recipe was about the correct method of preparing Drumstick sambhar which I havent followed so far. This recipe calls for Karnataka/Madras sambhar powder. The recipe for this powder can be obtained from here (http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/powder/karnataka-sambar.html)
After reading the recipe I couldnt wait to try, but the sad thing was I did not have few ingredients to make the sambhar powder, so I used MTR Sambhar powder and the result was indeed mind blowing.Guys if you make the Karnataka sambhar powder pls do let me know how it came. To go along with the drumstick sambhar I made Kay's No Fry Karela Crispies which was simple,healthy and definitely a time saver.
drumsticks- 3 nos
toor dhal- 1 cup
tomato - 1 med diced
curry leaves - 1 sprig
sambhar powder - 3 tsp(heaped) (MTR Sambhar powder)
chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
fresh jeera powder - 1/2 tsp
jaggery - small piece
coriander/cilantro- 1/4 cup
hing - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Red chillies - 2
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds -1/4 tsp
Hing - 1/4 tsp
- Cut drumsticks into small pieces about 2" in length.
- Soak in water about 30 min.
- Drain that dirty water and in another or same clean vessel take 150 ml of water add little salt, little sugar, drumsticks and boil in a med flame till the veggies are 3/4 cooked.
- Cook the toor dhal along with hing for 3 whistles and once the cooker cools down take out the dhal and churn the dhal till its very very smooth.
- In a microwaveable bowl or plastic container transfer the dhal.
- Now add half a sprig of curry leaves, tamarind juice(from lemon sized), little salt and microwave for 5 min.
- Now add the 3/4 cooked drumsticks along with the water, chilli powder,turmeric powder,fresh jeera powder, remaining salt and let it simmer for another 2 min.
- Add another half sprig of curry leaves and let it simmer in the microwave for another 2 min.
- Add sambhar powder and let it simmer for 5 min.
- Add diced tomato and freshly cut bunch of coriander and jaggery at the last. Mix well and let it simmer for two minutes.
- Temper with red Chillies,mustard, fenugreek,and hing in oil. Add hing finally. Temper the sambar and cover it with a lid immediately.
Sambar must be made at least two hours before you are to serve to self or the guests. The real taste of sambar comes only after two hours of cooking. A very good tip that I have learnt from his website.
I would like to contribute this recipe towards SweetNicks ARF 5 a Day Tuesday.